1st Period on Monday Morning:
Me: Alright, class. If you didn’t finish the assignment, it is due on Monday. Have a great weekend!
Middle Schooler: Mrs. L, you know that it IS Monday, right?
Yowza! What a way to start the week. I am so thankful that we are now at the closing of Wednesday, and the week is all downhill from here.
Lately, I have been having MAJOR New York City withdrawals. This is something that I go through quite regularly. I am pretty sure that my sister & I are the only ones with this affliction (let’s call it NYC Nostalgia). You may be wondering – have you ever lived in NY? Nope. I can count the number of times that I’ve been there on one hand. It’s embarrassing, but I fell hard for that city. So on days like these – where third trimester hormones are causing hot flashes, tummy aches, and overall fatigue – I daydream about NYC.
I can tell that you’re dying to hear all about my vast knowledge of the city (Ha!). So, today is your lucky day. 🙂
1. Bring Comfy Shoes to Walk In! You will be walking a LOT. Don’t get into the mindset of “we’ll get subway passes and be fine”. You still have to walk to and from the subway (still a good idea for transportation!), and your feet will thank you for this tip. You can even make super cute kicks like mine that scream TOURIST! Actually, maybe don’t do that.
2. Go Experience Broadway! Even if you’re not a “theater person” (is that possible?), going to see a show on Broadway is a must. I have seen A LOT of shows in NYC for the amount of times I have been there – Anything Goes, Wicked, A Streetcar Named Desire, Avenue Q, The Color Purple, Memphis, Peter & the Starcatcher, Beauty & the Beast, and more that my brain can’t recall. Looking for yummy food before your show? Try Carmine’s! It is a delicious family-style Italian place that you can’t miss.
3. Be a tourist & visit the sites from your favorite movie/TV show. Just do it. We all do, and it is perfectly fine. The last time I went, my sister & I were on a Gossip Girl kick (no shame!). We got giddy about spots that we saw on the show. It’s part of the fun of NYC. You can look up spots from your favorites or ask someone. Our tour guide knew all of the Gossip Girl & How I Met Your Mother spots.
4. Go to Central Park. This one is pretty obvious, but needed to be said. Central Park is beautiful with picturesque trails, statues, and ponds. My favorite? The Alice in Wonderland Statue.
5. See the city lights from the top of the Empire State Building at night. Worth the lines & ticket price. Just trust me on this one. Breath-taking.
There are a million more things that you can do – museums, Radio City, Statue of Liberty, etc. But if you only have the funds or time for a few things, stick to the basics!
… I hoped that by writing this post my bout of NYC Nostalgia would dissipate. Better luck next time… maybe I’ll just scoot on over to Southwest Airlines for a bit. 😉
In the next week or so, I should be posting my first craft (get excited!) & some fun maternity pictures (11 weeks and counting!). Stay tuned!