As a teacher, I see parents a lot. I see their interactions with their kids. I hear their kids’ opinions of them. So on and so forth.
We have had parent-teacher conferences the last few days, and they usually show me what kind of parent I want to be and (more importantly) what kind of parent I don’t want to be.
I don’t want to…
- Care more about my kid’s grades than who they are as a person.
- Berate/put down my kid in front of others. Disrespectful!
- Put dishes/cleaning/errands above my kid’s needs.
- Make snap judgments or rude accusations before asking questions.
- Make them question my love for them.
- Make them question my love for God.
Will I do these things at some point or another? Probably. Will it break my heart? 100% yes.
**DISCLAIMER: MY parents are wonderful folks & I was unbelievably blessed to feel loved, supported, and cared for always! Love you, mom & dad! 🙂